Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Cake That Wouldn't End... Red Velvet Cheesecake.

I originally made this cake for my brother in-law-Kirk's birthday back in February and it was AMAZING! Definitely a keeper of a recipe. It's really time consuming but well worth it. Then this last week we had a work party and one of my co-workers wanted me to make this cake for the party, which is usually no big deal, but this cake gave me the hardest time I have ever had... I think I lost my cooking mojo this last week...
It all began when I started making the cheesecake part. So I've got the kitchen aid going and I start putting in the eggs when all of a sudden I decide to drop half and eggshell into the moving mixer... I stop the mixer but not until after it had begun blending the eggshell into the cheesecake batter. I then spend the next 30 to 45 minutes trying to dig eggshells out of the batter, which didn't work all that well. If the cake hadn't called for three packages of cream cheese I would have been tempted to just start over, but cream cheese is not cheap, and I didn't want to have to buy three more. 
Completely frustrated at this point I just throw the two pans into the oven. An hour later I realize the cakes only needed to be in the oven for half the time because I split the cake into two pans... I try and salvage the cakes, which are more brown than they need to be, but still workable; barely averting another potential disaster.
 I then begin working on the red velvet cake part and I'm going to preface this with the fact that red food dye is about four dollars a pop and red velvet cake uses the entire one ounce bottle. I'm going along with making this cake until I notice that the mixture is really soupy and realize I had put twice the amount of buttermilk called for in the recipe... Off to the store I go to buy more red food dye because I had to completely abandon the soupy cake mixture and start over... This cake hates me. 


To top it all off I had to warn all of my co-workers of the eggshells they were more than likely to come across. And as I finally cut myself a slice, the very first bite I take has a huge chunk of eggshell in it. Delicious!!


Overall, it's an awesome cake and I'm glad Kirk had told me about it, but I could not wait to get this thing out of our apartment and gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment