One of the first assignments we have had this last week was to read a talk given by Dallin H.Oaks in 2001 entitiled the Challenge to Become. In case you haven't read it or its been a while since the last time and you want to read something that will inspire and motivate you to change the way things are, I would recommended taking a few minutes, slowing down a bit, and reading these inspired words from and apostle of the Lord. It will be well worth your time, I promise.
I will not even attempt to summarize what Elder Oaks teaches, so here is the first paragraph that will give ya just a taste of what the Challenge to Become is all about:"The Apostle Paul taught that the Lord’s teachings and teachers were given that we may all attain “the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ” (Eph. 4:13). This process requires far more than acquiring knowledge. It is not even enough for us to be convinced of the gospel; we must act and think so that we are converted by it. In contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to know something, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something."
So as I'm going along in life, I come across this and once again realize that I have a lot of work to do :)
"...From such teachings we conclude that the Final Judgment is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts—what we have done. It is an acknowledgment of the final effect of our acts and thoughts—what we have become. It is not enough for anyone just to go through the motions. The commandments, ordinances, and covenants of the gospel are not a list of deposits required to be made in some heavenly account. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a plan that shows us how to become what our Heavenly Father desires us to become."As I'm reading through this and realizing how so many aspects of my life need to be adjusted, I came across another realization that gave me a whole different perspective on life. Whenever someone has been saved from a horrible accident or survived a serious illness, as members of the Church we like to believe that that individual was spared so that they could finish their mission here on this earth; because it hasn't been fulfilled yet. What if the responsibility we have to become is another reason why individuals have avoided death? Maybe people "escape" death because our Heavenly Father knows that they haven't become the people they need to be before leaving this earth? We are here on earth to go through a refining process, to become better people, the individuals our Father in Heaven knows and needs us to be so we can have all that He has in store for us. He allows us to remain on this earth until we have become the individuals we need to become.
This idea gives me comfort. It gives me hope and I really hope any of this makes sense! I love the gospel and I love the peace we can have when we choose to be obedient and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Elder Oaks has certainly given me a lot to think about and I hope you have felt the promptings of the Spirit, as you've read this talk, revealing and guiding you to the things that need to be changed in you life and to know what we can do to become what our Father desires us to become.
Have a great day and know the Lord loves you!
Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks.
Johann Gottfried Von Herder
No comments:
Post a Comment